Saturday, September 6, 2014

"Why I am at MATC"


The driving forces for me were affordability and the high potential for the reward of speedy employment placement after graduation.  I am part of the student statistic for those that attend a four year university but never graduate and end up working a series of jobs for below average pay, because only a high school diploma has been obtained.  After substantial investment in time and money, it became clear that the Communicative Disorders Program at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater did not suit me.
This past January I was laid off as a Small Group Underwriting Technician from a fortune 500 health insurance company after a decade of working there and climbing the ladder.  After a great deal of soul searching I connected with the Dislocated Worker Program at the Milwaukee Hire Center.  They will provide most of the funding for my IT Program.  I have a good foundation to draw from because my work background includes computer operations, help desk and project administration.  Furthermore, back in 2000, I obtained certification as a Microsoft Certified System Engineer for NT 4.0.
I am currently pursuing the IT Network Specialist Associate in Applied Science degree on a full-time basis and work part-time on weekends for a commercial printing company.  I am really enjoying my first semester so far!  Oh, I almost forgot to include that when I have spare time, I am rallying computer geeks to take over the world!