Sunday, November 9, 2014

Ted Talks: Dan Barasch Speaker - "A Park Underneath The Hustle And Bustle Of New York City"






“Lets go down to the park”, may take on a new meaning in New York in the near future.

What Was The Topic And Argument Of The Presentation?
Dan Barasch and his business partner James Ramsey, want to build the world’s first four season subterranean park, called the Lowline, in a former trolley terminal in Manhattan’s lower east side. They intend to use a system of solar panels and fiber optics to bring light from above ground down to the terminal providing the sunlight needed to help the grass, plants and trees to grow on this empty space that is equal to a football field.  Dan shared that he wanted to make a difference … make the world more beautiful, more interesting and more just.  This park would be a step in the right direction to restoring an ecological balance in Manhattan after the industrial revolution made its mark by uprooting grass, plants and trees for the development of buildings.


How Were Visual Or Other Props Used In The Presentation?  Was It Effective?
  • Visual images were used to display complex information clearly – “His park concept”.
  • Visual images were used to compare and contrast his Grandmothers and Parents “old New York City” with how it is today.
  • Visual image of his Grandmother cooking in the kitchen was used to elicit contextual humor and also to help informalize the presentation.
  • All of the above were effective methods of using visual imagery to enhance the verbage in his speech.


Were Questions Asked?  Humor Used?  How Was The Pacing?
  • No questions were asked.  It was more of a presentation than a Q&A.
  • A small dose of humor was used one time to keep the audience engaged. Dan made reference to his grandmother shrugging off his questions and telling him to eat more meatballs, more pasta.
  • The pacing of his presentation was spot on.  He allowed enough time for the audience to conceptually grasp his vision of an underground park.


Was There A ‘Path’ Through The Presentation?
  1. An idea emerged (the underground park).
  2. Attempted to get historical perspectives directly from his Grandmother about the “old” New York City and its industrial development … but didn’t succeed.
  3. Takes idea full circle by emerging the history of his Grandparents and Parents generations of building and developing the city with his own generation’s propensity of reclaiming space that already exists and reinventing it with an aesthetic and green purpose.


Were You Engaged Or Inspired By The Presentation?
Yes.  I was engaged and inspired.   Dan is an excellent speaker!   He spoke from the heart and personalized his underground park idea to the audience by including the generations of  his family tied to New York City … the “old” and the “current”, as well as, telling of his personal sacrifice … quit his job to see his idea to fruition.  I am inspired by him, because he is trying to bring back what once was … beauty and ecological balance within a great state.


In conclusion, I agree with Dan that we need to reinvent how we use urban abandoned empty space and apply a green consciousness that is effective in its function, as well as, appealing in its design.  I believe that Dan will be making a difference in the community, if his idea gets implemented, because there is an abundance of scientific research to support that green space has a direct effect on the lives of city residents with a marked reduction in stress and an improved mood. Why should city dwellers have to drive to green space to improve their well-being?       

16 comments:

  1. I really think this is a good idea to have subtteranean in Wisconsin. I also think in the long-run it could save the city some money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tchaas,

      After finishing this Ted Talk's assignment, I did further surfing on the internet and found that the "Lowline" has its own website @ www.thelowline.org. If all goes well in negotiations with the MTA/city as well as the capital campaign to support its construction ... then it is projected to be open to the public sometime in 2018. Any big urban city would benefit from its development, but my vote would be for Chicago next.

      Delete
    2. My apologies ... MTA stands for Metropolitan Transit Authority.

      Delete
  2. I really liked how you grouped your analysis. Other people were not as specific about their thoughts on the presentation. I also think that this topic is really interesting and that its worth while to consider. Although there are lots of expenses and it seems like not a lot of people really are looking to solar energy, or any alternative energy for that matter, maybe this type of exposure to the public is what is needed to get this idea off the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lanre,

      Thank you for being so complimentary. The "Lowline Project" is making remarkable strides in the hope of be coming a reality sometime in 2018. Check out its website @ www.thelowline.org.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Well done, Margaret. It's hard to believe there are places in New York that have been abandoned for so long. I love the mini-history lessons too. My blog was also on a presentation on bringing a greener quality of life to cities. More specifically, apartment buildings - www.itjoey.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joseph! Yes, it is really hard to imagine that there was a football field of abandoned space on Manhattan's lower east side. Okay, I'll have to check out your green blog post.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this topic is interesting. It really good to know that people are standing up to making more green space, some people think that if they don't do it,other people will do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Xe,

      I'm glad that you found my selected presentation interesting. Yes, I agree that many people sit back and wait for others to take action, which is unfortunate. Thank goodness that Dan is taking action on his idea, because he certainly has communicated his intellect and drive to make his idea a reality.

      Delete
  5. Great job of breaking down and identifying the importance of this presentation. New York really lacks this ecological environment and for Baracsh to bring that back by building it underground using abandoned places isn't a bad idea. Expenses may be bit high though for this type of thing, but who am I to say how much it will cost. Money are blown like it's growing on trees today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am always ready to receive a complement. Yes, it is an expensive project, but I remain hopeful. Back in February of 2012 the Lowline Project received 155,000 in donations for their Kickstarter Campaign and they continue to be active with their fundraisers / galas. Furthermore, I would like to share with you that the website is used to show their direct and personal connection with their supporters by listing their individual / corporate names or by sharing their story of perspective on the need to support this project in the community. Check out the website @ www.thelowline.org

      Delete
  6. Nice post Margaret! I agree wholeheartedly about needing to reinvent abandoned spaces into green areas. In my life I have been gifted chances to live in 2 large cities and I can tell you from experience that city dwellers would love more green space where ever they can get it, underground or not.

    Personally, I would love to see this with my own eyes. What is the likelihood this project gets done? and Is this project just a concept or being put into action?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alfonso,

      Thank you Alfonso! If all goes well in negotiations with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA)/city, as well as, the capital campaign to support its construction ... then it is projected to be open to the public sometime in 2018. The Lowline Project has its own website @ www.thelowline.org. to keep you updated on its progress.

      Delete
  7. Nice post Margaret. I agree with you mostly now industries take our space for their business interest. But now public are aware and try to make more green house for reduce the damage in the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yasir,

      Thank you for the complement! Yes ... we have to fight for our green at work, as well as, where we take up residence. I am grateful that each generation is becoming more advanced in technology, because we are going to need more innovative ways to keep our green space, when the population gets more dense year after year.

      Delete